What's new in Moon Modeler version 2.9
The key feature in this release is the support for MySQL database design. Version 2.9 brings data modeling features, reverse engineering of existing MySQL database structures, generation of SQL / DDL scripts, and other useful features like export to PDF. In this version, you will find various UI improvements, generation of comments, and better possibilities to troubleshoot issues related to reverse engineering.
1. Support for MySQL database modeling
Database modeling contains support for nested JSON structures. See the screenshot below and compare the classic ER diagram, where JSON structures are not visualized and the detailed ER diagram with nested JSON structures.
2. Visualization of existing MySQL databases
You can create a new connection to your existing MySQL database, reverse engineer the structure and display a visual diagram of the database objects.
3. MongoDB reverse engineering: import from the validator
Reverse engineering of MongoDB database structures has been improved. Now you can choose if you wish to detect the structure from the validator or from the data.
4. MongoDB patterns
In MongoDB projects, you can specify the Pattern property for each field in a collection. See the Pattern switch on the screenshot below.
5. MongoDB validation on document level
Validation on the document level is now supported.
6. PostgreSQL, MariaDB, SQLite - better support for comments
Generation and reverse engineering of database comments are now supported better. In case a schema comment is defined in the PostgreSQL database, the definition will be loaded to the section BEFORE SCRIPT in project properties. The content will then be included in the generated SQL script. Sections BEFORE and AFTER script are supported across various database platforms.
7. User interface improvements for better user experience
- Esc key supported on the majority of modal dialogs/forms.
- In case reverse engineering fails, a new form will open and you will be able to send us more information about the issue. This will help us improve the functionality and fix possible issues as soon as possible.
- Improved error handling for reverse engineering of PostgreSQL databases (version 2.9.2).
- Fixed bug in the generation of DEFAULT statement in MySQL and MariaDB scripts (version 2.9.2).
- Fixed issues with quotations in comments that could not be reverse engineered (version 2.9.3).
- Improved parsing of JSON structures (version 2.9.3)
- PostgreSQL - fix for reverse engineering. Relations from other schemas are skipped (version 2.9.3)
Have a suggestion?
If you have a suggestion, idea for improvement or in case you find a bug please do not hesitate and write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.