What's new in Moon Modeler 3.0
The latest version contains the following new features and improvements:
1. Support for multiple diagrams
In previous versions, you could create a project and visualize all the data objects on one diagram only. Version 3 brings significant improvements.
- Now you can manage all objects on the Main Diagram
- You can also create other diagrams (sub-diagrams) and focus on the selected part of your data model
- By using separate diagrams with the subset of objects, you can improve your productivity. If your data model or schema design contains many objects, diagrams with fewer objects will allow you to work with the diagram significantly faster.
- You can print the active diagram/data design to PDF.
- Contains all database objects (all schema objects)
- Objects can be displayed or hidden
- Contains a subset of objects of the Main diagram
- Objects can be added to a diagram or removed from the diagram, but cannot be hidden
Adding a new diagram
You can click the button Add diagram (1) to create a new, empty diagram. This can be useful if you plan to create a new part of your database design from scratch. If you wish to add already existing objects to a new or existing diagram, select the objects and right-click any of them either in the side panel (2) or on the active diagram (3), and select Add to another diagram (4).
Setting the diagram name and properties
If you wish to rename the diagram or set other graphical properties, either right-click the tab name and click Edit to open the modal form, or edit the properties directly in the side panel.
Displaying items from the Main diagram
At bottom of the left side panel, you can find switch Show items from the Main diagram.
Enable the switch (1) to display items that exist in the project & the main diagram, but are not in the active diagram.
The items are displayed as disabled (2). You can right-click any of them and select Add to diagram (3).
Diagram items management
If you wish to see a list of all objects, search in the list and add or remove additional objects, right-click the diagram area, and select Manage diagram items.
The Diagram items modal form opens. See the objects included (checkbox checked, see 1) and objects that are available for addition. You can also filter the grid by specifying the object name in the Filter input field (2).
If you want to remove an object, you can use the Diagram items modal form, or select the object and press the Del key or click the Delete icon on the toolbar.
Then you can choose to either remove the object from the diagram or delete it from the project.
Changing where tabs are displayed in Moon Modeler
In the Settings, you can select if you want to display the tabs above the diagram or below the diagram.
2. Diagram features
- Diagram specific colors/background colors
- Objects in each diagram can be formatted differently (color, position, size etc.)
- Objects alignment and resize
- Print to PDF
3. Simple line improvements
Multiple lines are now clearly visible when the Simple line mode is activated. You can also see the cardinality nicely. See the two relationships between tables store and staff in the Sakila project for MySQL.
4. Collection to document relationships in MongoDB projects
In Moon Modeler version 3 you can now easily model scenarios when a collection is linked to a document in MongoDB projects. In the previous version, it was necessary to add a field of objectId type. In version 3 you can draw relation from collection to a document and the linked field will be added to the document automatically. The same functionality is supported by Reverse Engineering from existing databases.
5. User interface improvements for better user experience
- Items added to Main menu (Connections, Settings, My Account)
- Added support for backspace key for MacOS users - opens the Delete modal form
- Added support for ESC key on various modal form or confirmation dialogs
- Added context menu to multi-selection
- Fix for a bug that could occur when self-relation has been deleted
- Fix for a bug in projects for SQLite. (Version 3.0.2)
6. New file structure
The newly added support for multiple diagrams in one project required a change in the file structure. We strongly recommend you to backup your files before opening them in version 3.0. You will not be able to open them again in any previous version of Moon Modeler. The file structure will be changed automatically when you save your project.
Have a suggestion?
If you have a suggestion, idea for improvement or in case you find a bug please do not hesitate and write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.