Moon Modeler version 4.0 is here! This is a major update that is packed with various improvements. Let’s start with the new features of the Professional edition
1. HTML reports
Report generation is a significant enhancement that moves the product into the category of database reporting tools. Moon Modeler thus becomes a tool for data modeling and at the same time a tool for creating interactive documentation.
Let’s see how it works:
- Open your project and click on the Report button on the main toolbar
- Select the report style
- Select the target folder and generate the report. Here you can see a sample report generated for the Pagila data model for PostgreSQL.
You can view the full report at: https://www.dbdiagrams.com/online-diagrams/Pagila-2-1-0/
Key benefits of the generated HTML reports
- HTML and SVG format – high quality format of the graphics and lines.
- Interactive diagrams – click on any item in the diagram to open the detail.
- Searchable pages – click on an object type in the main toolbar to display a list of all objects and use the Search field to filter the items. Then click on an item on the left side to display details instead of all objects.
- Easy-to-view – no server required, reports work perfectly in the local environment. Click on the index.html file to view the report. It’s that simple.
- Easy-to-share – zip the report and send it to a colleague, or upload the report to your server and then embed the files on your favorite site using the IFRAME tag.
Example of a report added to a page in the Atlassian Confluence:
2. Multiple ER diagrams and generation of scripts
Other enhancements available to all users of the Professional edition are the creation of diagrams according to schematics and the generation of scripts only for the selected diagram.
Adding diagrams by Schemas or by Databases
This feature is available in PostgreSQL, MySQL and MariaDB projects. Right click the Main diagram tab and choose Add diagrams by Schemas or right click the diagram are and pick the same item from the popup.
A window appears with a selection of schemas for which you want to create a diagram. The result will then be the creation of new diagrams.
Generating scripts for a diagram
In case you have multiple ER diagrams in your project, you can generate the resulting script only for the selected diagram.
This enhancement is available for all supported platforms, from MongoDB projects to GraphQL projects.
So far, we’ve covered the features that Professional Edition users will benefit from. However, we have a number of new features in this release for Basic edition users as well. So let’s take a look at the other key enhancements in version 4.0
3. Script generation improvements
For users of relational databases we have added the possibility to choose how the resulting SQL script will be formatted and also in what order the objects will be generated.
Rules for generating SQL scripts affect the generated script both in the preview of the selected object and in the resulting script for the project or diagram.
The order of objects can be changed on the Order Items tab. We plan to improve this functionality in future versions and make it more user-friendly, however, even in this version it is possible to move the selected object higher or lower using drag and drop.
It is also possible to automatically reorder objects by clicking the Reset order button, when dependencies are analyzed and items are automatically reordered. This feature is most beneficial in PostgreSQL projects.
For users of all project types, we have also provided the option to choose which object will not be generated at all, as well as the option to generate Custom Code, either in addition to or instead of automatically generated code.
Generate options for Auto-generated scripts and Custom code
If you have an object in progress and do not want to generate the resulting script for it, turn off the Generate option. And if you need to generate other code, you can enter it in the Custom Code field and use the Generate switch below that field. This way you can get better control over the generated script for the entire data model or diagram.
4. User interface improvements
Another area we focused on for this major release was improving the user interface. From the many suggestions for improvement that you have sent us and for which we thank you, we have selected the most frequently mentioned ones. Let’s take a look at a short list of the main improvements.
Display schema/database in diagram
The schema can be displayed before the object name.
Show or hide nested objects in diagram
Nested objects are displayed by default, now you can disable this display for all objects on the ER diagram.
Set width and height of objects automatically
In earlier versions it was necessary to change the width and height of objects quite often. In this version, such manual actions should be significantly less necessary. The size of objects in the diagram is automatically recalculated when various actions are performed, e.g. adding a column, changing the column name, changing the data type, adding a nested object to an existing object, etc. If you have disabled the auto-height option for some objects, we recommend selecting all tables/json/collections/documents and selecting the Set auto height option.
5. Auto save and Project restore
In the application settings, you can set an interval to automatically backup unsaved changes of the project. If computer or application stops working the changes could be restored.
6.Other useful improvements and bug fixes
Other new features, often inspired by your requirements, are:
- Default arrow changes for newly created lines
- Filter in the list of projects works with filenames
- Smaller modal forms
- Links to parent/child objects added to line objects
- Find in diagram feature added for lines and relationships/references
- Project files in dmm format are formatted
- New default name for relationships in MySQL projects
- Sizes of Before and After scripts are optimized
- Fix: functions count in side panel
- Fix: Domains, Enums in PostgreSQL projects and Enums in GraphQL projects displayed correctly on diagrams
- Fix: Auto height in GraphQL projects corrected
- Fix: Various fixes related to UNDO and Zoom
Have a suggestion?
If you have a suggestion, an idea for improvement, or if you find a bug, feel free to email us at email@example.com.